Monday, October 18, 2010

38/365 & "Childhood" my first attempt at poetry (take 2)


"Childhood"
by Margaret Bednar

Childhood is a time of wonderment
of security
encouragement and possibilities.

Exploration begins every morning
with fresh faces and engaging smiles.
Each day approached with boundless energy.

As the sun rises, imagination flourishes
and inspiration is found in the simple.
Creativity soars with seemingly no boundaries.

Each day is for experimenting
and is about the process, not the end result.
Failure does not define who they are.

As they are tucked away each evening
sleepy heads are filled with questions.
Confident there are answers.

Parenthood is a time of great importance
 a limited opportunity to re-learn life's secrets.
Offered in the sweetest of ways.

I totally feel silly posting this.  But I read the amazing, heart touching poem below and it really got me to thinking how childhood is so precious.  The above is more of a reflection than a poem.  But I think it is a start to poetry - thinking about the deeper meanings of life.  ...I can only get better, right?

3 comments:

Pitterle Postings said...

Margaret, I too, have tried my hand at poetry. I love writing it, although my own attempts are more analogies than actual poems. I think when it comes from the heart, all is well. You are off to a great start.

Justine said...

I wish I could write poetry, don't worry about posting, I think it is great and I agree, you are off to a great start.

Ginnie Hart said...

What a precious image of your 3 girls, Margaret, and a wonderful poetic tribute to them and what they are teaching you. You can be very proud of your first/second attempt at poetry. I declare!