Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Poetry Jam - "Temptation & Forgiveness"

Photo Courtesy of Poetry Jam
Temptation and Forgiveness

A trickle of sweat defies
the rapidly moving paper fan
imprinted with the Savior's face.
My red tongue licks the salt
from my upper lip, almost
giving away my secret.  His eyes
remind me of my transgression,
but I cannot resist temptation.
I pop another sinfully sour
red explosion into my mouth,
careful not to swallow the pit.
The perfumed shade and the
stickiness of the imperfect
ones upon the ground
make me think, for a moment,
that I am in heaven.  I stop
fanning and look into His eyes
and ask forgiveness.  He understands.
I hope my grandmother will, too.

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, June 14, 2011

One of my earliest memories is of my grandmother's cherry trees and our family picking cherries in the summer.   My mom canned and I'm sure my love for cherry pie began with that tree...

This is for the "Poetry Jam".  Click and check out the other participating poets.  I also submitted this for One Stop Poetry's "One Shot Wednesday #50".  I was the 115th entry!  I guess it is the place to be on Wednesdays!  :)

19 comments:

G-Man said...

Margaret....
Fantastic description of one of my favorite flavors.
Loved it.....G

Jinksy said...

Mmmm...cherries! :)

Quirina said...

Very cute poem.

Brian Miller said...

it all depends on where you spit the pits..haha...nice capture margaret

James Rainsford said...

Wonderfully evocative write. Bought some cherries after reading this. Thanks.

TexWisGirl said...

love that the Saviour was watching you!

Carol Blackburn said...

Mornin' Margaret, wonderful photo and poem you've shared this morning. Enjoy your day!

Helen said...

The sweetness began with your poem's title and got sweeter with each line.

Claudia said...

ha nice..cherry trees for sure can be a huge temptation...stirred some childhood memories and makes me wanna climb a cherry tree now...smiles

Other Mary said...

I very much like your suggestion that heaven is loaded with temptation!

Margaret said...

Thank you, everyone. This one was written very quickly and I think some of my best ones have been that way. Go figure!

Mary - the stickiness of the cherries on the ground, in my mind's eye, can really only be enjoyed by a child. It amazes me how messiness like that seems to go unnoticed in children... I hadn't meant temptation to be present in Heaven, but that is an interesting thought. The shade and aroma and enjoying the simple things like a child is, to me, heaven like.

I loved the array of paper fans my grandmother had. Some folded some where half circles... and she used them - and I'm sure my sisters and I broke a few...

Maude Lynn said...

I adore this one, Margaret!

Reena said...

Fun putting words to memories! Very very nice!

rachel june* said...

wow, you are so talented at writing! now my mouth is watering for some cherries!!!

Dasuntoucha said...

Sweet write.

Lisa Gordon said...

Congratulations on 115 entries Margaret.
This is fantastic and you are amazingly talented!

Margaret said...

Thank you for your comments - I have photos of my grandmother's beautiful climbing roses that graced her front porch as well ... I am going to search for a photo of that cherry tree!

Lisa - I'm not sure I have 115 poems yet, I might, but I was the 115th person entering a poem at One Stop Poetry - they have MANY talented people that participate. :)

Kavita said...

Awwww.... how adorable is that!! Childhood memories... *sigh*
They kill me...really!!!

Really enjoyed this one, Margaret..

Margaret said...

Kavita - thank you. I hadn't really thought about this for a long time... until this picture prompt.