Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Poetry Jam - "Of Course You Are"


Of Course You Are

My son and I walked today
a walk we mostly ran
and skipped
from place to place,
stopping here and there,
for no reason I could see
until he explained to me,
"I am a pig rooting for food
under every rock."

I nodded and said, "Of course you are."

And then he found a worm,
he laughed and shouted,
"Happy Pig Day!"
and off he went, galloping.

"Pigs don't gallop," I called after him 
and he gave me that look,
that look every child gives their mom
when she is being silly
and he said "That is because I am an antelope
running with the wind!"

I nodded and said, "Of course you are."

And he vanished around the bend
as I tried to keep up.

Upon him I finally came,
his hoof pawing the dirt.
"Why little antelope
are you pawing the ground?" 
and he lifted his finger and pointed, 
"I'm not an antelope,
I'm the artist who painted a blue horse!"

I nodded and said, "Of course you are."

And as I admired his creativity,
he leapt upon a rock wall
and opened his mouth wide.

bv Natasha for "In Tandem"

"You are yawning, tired little artist," I said.
"I'm not tired!" he declared
stamping his feet, "I'm a dragon,
defending my gold"
and he stamped some more
and yawned...I mean spat more fire,
as he surveyed the land,
protecting his treasure.

I nodded and said, "Of course you are".

Then, into my arms he jumped giving me a hug.
"Carry me!" he demanded
and I obeyed
treasuring those few blocks home,
tucked him into bed,
kissed his cheek, and whispered,

"Sleep tight, my little dragon" 
and he opened one eye and said,
"I'm not a dragon.  I'm a
sleepy llama llama, home with Mama"
and I patted his fluffy head.

I nodded and said, "Of course you are."

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, October 25, 2011

* * * * *

This was a really fun prompt for Poetry Jam.  We were asked to select from the Times Best Seller List (or iTunes or new movies, etc) and write a poem using three titles we selected.  Mine were taken from the Children's Picture Book List:   (1) If you give a Dog a Donut, by Laura Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond (2) The Bipplo Seed & Other Lost Stories, by Dr. Seuss  (3) The Artist who Painted a Blue Horse, by Eric  Carle (4) Happy Pig Day!, by Mo Willems, and (5) Llamma Llamma Home with Mama, by Anna Dewdney.

I also linked to In Tandem #15 hosted by the delightful Jinksy.   Also linked to dVerse's "Open Link Night" and it seems to be THE place to be on Tuesday evenings... so check it out!  

21 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

this was precious. would make a perfect children's book...

Helen said...

I would agree with Ms. Tex ... precious is the word to describe your poem!

Jinksy said...

Just shows where giving imagination a free rein can lead us! LOL Thanks for for jumping on the tandem in the process. ♥

Lolamouse said...

That was delightful! I agree that it would make a wonderful children's book! Do you do drawings?

izzy said...

Great job that is lovely! thanks.

Carol Blackburn said...

Oh my, Margaret....I agree this would make a wonderful children's book.

Jannie Funster said...

Another one in agreement -- THIS is a great little book.

Will you still speak to me when you are all famous and stuff?? :)

But seriously, this is just lovely! And sounds liek you got your exercise on that walk and skip about.

Thsi poem makes me want to carry my daughter 4 blocks!!

xoxoxo

Brian Miller said...

haha how playful..a delight to read...this is why i love hanging out with kids all the time...they are awesome!

hedgewitch said...

If only we could keep that imagination alive always--but we have to treasure it when we see it, for sure. A lovely warm, human poem.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are writing about this Margret and that you are taking photos because you will always have these memories........ It is the absolute best part of life and your poem just explains that in the most beautiful way I have ever seen...... Very heart warming poem

Anonymous said...

Very sweet, like a children's book all in itself.

Bethany said...

Adorable poem!

Beachanny said...

Snips and snaps of an active imagination! Love the way you weaved it all together. Well done.

Ruth said...

Fantastic, Margaret! I see a children's book, entire, right here. With your illustrations (and his). Wouldn't that be perfect?

A.S. said...

Margaret

Ler teus textos é um doce fascinio... é sentir vibrar todas as emoções!


Beijos,
AL

Jigglyjess said...

Simply Wonderful! x

RMP said...

an absolutely wonderful and fun romp. i could see this turning itself quite easily into its own little picture book. beautifully done.

forgetmenot said...

Oh Margaret, this is great! I think it is unanimous--a lovely children's book it must become (with, of course, some of your wonderful illustrations)! Seriously!!!! Mickie :)

eve said...

this is beautiful! Mrs. Bednar

Ginnie Hart said...

OMG, Margaret! A children's book, indeed, with several pages of illustrations between your words. Kids of all ages would love this! So would a publisher!

Unknown said...

Loved it though it made me sad I so miss playing make believe with the kids ....guess that's why I write,thanks for sharing a beautiful lyrical write x