Sunday, November 6, 2011

Magpie Tales "90 - "The Weeping Tree"


The Weeping Tree

Beneath the weeping tree
like lovers we sit;
cheek to cheek, a dance of sorts
chaperoned by Mother Earth.

Apart she tries to keep us,
but my lover's hands
hold my beating heart;
pulsing only for her, only for her.

We embrace, warmed by the sun,
but the hours desist
and evening's cold fingers
try to tear us apart.

Useless my pleas to remain.
Wind sets in and demands we part.
No!  I will not leave this quite spot
for my love holds my beating heart.

Beneath the weeping tree
tears of love I shed
as I plunge the knife in deep

for under living green my love does lie
now holding close my bleeding heart.

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, November 6, 2011

This was written for and linked to "Magpie Tales #90".   The photo prompt is below, but since I went to Savannah GA and visited Bonaventure Cemetery not too long ago, I supplied my own photo.  On my side bar I have a link if you are interested in viewing photos of this Victorian era cemetery.

Photo provided by Tess Kincaid for Magpie Tales

19 comments:

Isabel Doyle said...

beautiful photo Margaret, and the poem is full of wistfulness - lovely

Berowne said...

Both text and picture -- very well done.

Ginnie Hart said...

Your "weeping tree" photo takes my breath away, Margaret. It's fit for a magazine or brochure!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

I want to know the *rest* of the story......... :)

Lovely!

izzy said...

I really enjoyed your photo-and it meshes well with your poem!
I did not want to be sad, but chose memory instead. Thanks!

Maude Lynn said...

This is so good! I particularly love the first stanza.

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

this is beautiful and full of emotion... love the pic too...

JJRod'z

Other Mary said...

Very romantic... reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet.

Brian Miller said...

yikes...plunging the knife in deep...metaphor or otherwise...yes i see hints of romeo and juliet thought...nicely penned margaret...

Ginny Brannan said...

Lovely poem, beautiful photo!

Reena said...

A beautiful image and words!

Jinksy said...

Oh, my! Suicide's a far cry from the deaths this time of year normally brings to mind... But no wonder the tree is weeping...

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh the grief your weeping tree must feel...your writing brings Edgar Allan Poe to mind...he is one of my favorite poets and the reason I began writing poetry;

Claudia said...

what an awesome picture of that weeping tree..and reading your poem...no wonder that tree is weeping...shivers..and a pleasure to read..

Tess Kincaid said...

Lovely write and beautiful image of the weeping tree...

Nana Jo said...

The larger picture really offers a different perspective of the stone. It made me think about how true that is of life as well. Beautiful, poignant imagery. It makes me add a little to the weeping.

Margaret said...

I've had a few questions from my family and it makes me think this isn't quite as clear as it should be. His love is buried under the ground and he just can't leave her, so he commits suicide. Maybe the "cheek to cheek" needs to be changed ... I like the concept of this, so I might play with it a bit.

All your comments are greatly, greatly appreciated!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Oh Margaret this is sad, yet strangely beautiful!

Anna :o]

Jingle Poetry At Olive Garden said...

both beautiful and concrete.

welcome sharing a random or relevant poetry with us today.

:)

hope to see you in.