Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Barn Charm #59 - Tobacco Barns - A slice of the South's history


As a Northerner moving to North Carolina a few years ago, I was puzzled as to what these strange looking barns were dotting the countryside.  Quite tall and narrow, with few to no windows and sometimes sporting a lean-to or covered/shaded area.  Of course, I realize now I live in what had been the heart of the tobacco industry.  I was in Virginia this past weekend and wish I had stopped to take a few photos of this style of barn.  I guess that means a rode trip!  The tobacco barn photographed for today's post resides in Summerfield, NC.

I've linked this post to Bluff Area Daily's "Barn Charm #59.  Do yourself a favor and click to enjoy amazing beauty!


I am not a proponent of smoking, but this is a slice of the south's history and something about these funny looking barns draws me to photograph them.  Some have been restored and reside next to residential properties in small towns, but many sit dejectedly atop fields of weeds.


This is the first of a series of photos I plan to expand upon.   I might be incorrect in labeling any barn a "tobacco" barn, and please let me know if you think I am in error.  At fist I didn't think the metal barn was such as I thought they had to be made of wood.   But a quick google search leads me to believe this is not so.  Or maybe, this barn had been entirely made of wood at one time and it has been "repaired" inexpensively.  I don't know.  

8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

you need to link in to Barn Charm at www.bluffareadaily.blogspot.com

tricia opens it each monday afternoon! join up!

Rosie Grey said...

How interesting, Margaret! I love old barns and can't wait to see more of them here!

izzy said...

Just love ingenuity- and rust!
interesting where and how it
shows up-
There is a RR bridge not so very far from me that I would just love to photograph. However I cannot figure out where I could stand safely to do that! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome find! I've never seen a tobacco barn that small. The ones I've seen are in big barns with slats on the sides that can be opened slightly to air out the tobacco leaves. But, I guess there must have been lots of folks making their own back then & that's where this lil beauty came in.

Thank you so much for joining & hope to see you back throughout the series! =)

Judy said...

I love that top photo! We have old tobacco barns around here in Southwest Wisconsin but they're very different from this one, how neat is that.

Carletta said...

The tobacco barns I know are much larger as well. The size of this one with its wooden door and rusted tin give it lots of charm!
You captured the setting beautifully.
Love that grass shot too!

Thanks for visiting. :)

Ms. Becky said...

this is a charming barn, no doubt about it. I've passed tobacco barns here in the Midwest too but they're much bigger. one of the most interesting things about Barn Charm is seeing what barns are like in all regions of our land. The Midwest has predominately large dairy barns, and the South has their share of ranch barns. the architecture is way different in each. I love seeing the charms of our nation come to life through Barn Charm. thanks for sharing. and thanks too for stopping by my blog and saying hello, I truly appreciate that. You have many talents! happy day to you Margaret.

Ginnie said...

Definitely a part of the South, Margaret. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, some distant relative on my dad's side worked in the tobacco fields. I need to find out from sister Ruth about that. I'm not a proponent of smoking either but I'd sure use these barns, like you, as a photo op!