Friday, May 4, 2012

IGWRT's "dirt farmer" "Americana" a tribute to Levon Helm

Levon Helm with The Band, 1974
Americana

The Midnight Ramble of Levon Helm
wasn't about fashion, nor politics, not really,
his life went beyond.

With flashing sticks and a soul-filled drawl,
his Americana R&R rang with Southern
"self-evident" truths:

the American tall tale,
and the underground,
the renegade, the buccanner.

Stories told, history sang
reminding us we have a place
worthy of calling home.

most lines selected by Margaret Bednar from Charles P. Pierce's article, Art Happens 365, May 4, 2012
* * * * *

I snagged (not a few) lines from this amazing article written by Charles P. Pierce HERE.  It is a wonderful article that pays homage to this great performer, Levon Helm, who died of cancer last Thursday at the age of 71.  There is a GREAT jamming song "Don't Do It" that is a MUST to play LOUD!!  This guy rocked and I will be adding him to my Ipod.  Can't believe I had never heard of him.  HERE is a website that is Home of the Midnight Rambler.

If it hadn't been for the poetry Challenge at "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - dirt farmer" I would never have been introduced.  So, thank you, Marian, for hosting.



12 comments:

Marian said...

oh i love it! such a gorgeous embracing and tribute. you know, i'm wondering about sharing our tributes with levon's family. lemme give that some thought. he was married to the same woman since 1974 i believe. i wonder if i could send them a link to RT to check em out.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Those last lines really sum up what he meant to the American consciousness.

Daydreamertoo said...

Wonderful. He did rock, didn't he as a musician and a person!

kaykuala said...

Great music and great tribute, Marge!The tenacity to hold on until a ripe old age of 71 tells us something of the man.

Hank

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love your poem.....and Marian, I think his family would be very touched at these tributes. It might bring them some comfort, to know he has left a legacy and will be remembered.

Dan said...

That is so coool!

Kay L. Davies said...

I'm glad The Band has a new fan in you now, Margaret. You wrote a beautiful tribute to Levon, and I know you're not likely to forget him.
K

Hannah said...

First: Thank you for your words, Margaret, they're truly a touching and enlightening tribute Levon. Second: I agree with you on two counts, I can't believe I'd never heard of him and I'm so glad that Marian introduced him. Super great poem on this!! Thank you!

hedgewitch said...

Great songs, and your poem makes a fine point about why they appeal--they speak to our history, but they also update it for our times. Glad you've found Levon, Margaret--he's a good musical companion on the down home road.

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful tribute to Levon...I was young when The Band played all those songs...they will stay with me as will precious Levon

Mary Ann Potter said...

A lovely tribute and a unique take on the prompt! I like the way you used ideas from that article; they worked beautifully under your interpretation! Your post shows "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"; one of my favorite versions of the song is from Judy Collins. Such a poignant song.

Laurie Kolp said...

What a lovely tribute, Margaret.