Saturday, August 4, 2012

IGWRT's "Granny's Quilt"


Would you like to hear me read this poem? (please disregard the washing machine in the background :)


Check this out on Chirbit

Granny's Quilt

Irregular became Granny's hand,
determined patience its guide,

feed sacks, old shirts lovingly pieced together
upon cabin porch's worn cane-bottom chair.

"Stitching prayers" she'd say,

sewing a bit long, a bit ragged. Well house,
wash tub, clucking chickens before us,

my eyes bright, hers dimmed.  Quietly vibrant her voice,
warning me of life's twists and turns.

Spellbound, I sat, watching knarled fingers
create Puritan Stars to wrap about my shoulders,

"To protect you from the wolves of life."

Her faith-filled blessings forever guiding,
forever nurturing all my days.

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens, August 4, 2012

This if for Imaginary Garden with Real Toad's "Music with Marian".  The inspirational song today is Sinead O'Connor's "The Wolf is Getting Married".



12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

loved that poem! wonderful!

Marian said...

if only a hand-pieced quilt could protect us from the wolves.

Laurie Kolp said...

Stitching prayers... I just love that!

Grace said...

I like the stitched quilt for protection ~ Nice pictures too ~

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love all the sights, sounds and textures of this post, Margaret, and thought the washing machine the perfect accompaniment to the subject of "women's work".

Ella said...

I love what you have created here...
You stitched a poem of memories and magic from your youth!
Wonderful photos capture the net of sepia dreams of what it use to be like~
Thanks for letting us peer into another world!

Mary B. Mansfield said...

I just love this! A handmade quilt from my grandma is one of my most cherished treasures...packed away for safety right now because of how well-worn it was. Unfortunately, I failed to inherit any of her sewing skills, I'm just a bit hopeless with a needle and thread. But there's something to be said for being able to hold a handmade keepsake knowing of the love sewed into each stitch. Just wonderful!

Margaret said...

Kerry... :) it is the NEXT day and my washing machine is still running...

Mary... have you ever considered mounting the quilt on the wall ?

Ginnie Hart said...

OMG, Margaret. Where did you find all those quilts on the clothesline??!! I love this whole post.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Such beautifully penned memories....and the photos are stunning. I LOVE the homemade quilts on the line and especially love her saying "stitching prayers." Yes, she was. So lovely.

Margaret said...

Thank you, all! Ginny, the quilts were at a lilac festival I visited this past summer. I picnicked under them with my children :)

Unknown said...

Amazing photography, great lines you have added in this post, i really enjoyed the post, you have captured ruins image in a attractive view.

Well designed wall art