Saturday, September 15, 2012

Magpie #134 "Toast"

Breakfast, 1921, Fernand Leger
Toast

Alone I slept
last night.  Again.

Yet find you
at the kitchen table.

Kiss you
good morning,

her perfume, your cigarettes,
thick upon my tongue.

Cook you
no pancakes, no eggs.

You're simply
no longer worth the effort.

Imagine my hair
a noose about your neck

as I lean in and whisper,
"You're toast".

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, September 15, 2012


This is for "The Mag 134".  This certainly is a last minute entry... but truly, I thought about what to write all week!  It didn't come to me at all until I just started typing.  

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i like it!

Vagabonde said...

Very nice! Direct too – tell it like it is…

my heart's love songs said...

LOVE it!

Amrit Sinha said...

"Imagine my hair
a noose about your neck" - I could smell a sense of revenge here :-)

Dick Jones said...

Vengeance for the Prevert breakfast! Very nicely done, Margaret.

Daydreamertoo said...

You're toast.... pheeew!
Good for her :)

Kathe W. said...

Oh yeah baby! Perfect! Give him the ol' whole wheat toast!
Excellent take on the image.

Ginnie Hart said...

HA! Take THAT! I can just see it now. :)

Sreeja said...

Cool.....