Tuesday, October 30, 2012

IGWRT's - Sunday Mini Challenge "1901: A Lady's Craft"


1901: A Lady's Craft

Gleaming white upon ol' Blue Ridge,
sits a time of grace and ease.
Whisp'ring trees
recall ladies displayed
like fragrant lilies,
laughter, charm, and eloquence;
artful innocence.

by Margaret Bednar, 10-30-2012

This is for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, "Sunday Mini Challenge", trochaic meter and the structure is as follows:

(a)   8 syllables
(b)   7 syllables 
(b)   3 syllables
(Internal rhyme c / c) 6 syllables
(b)   5 syllables
(d)   7 syllables
(d)   5 syllables

I did not mean to make the last line so "jaded", but it was really hard to find a rhyme for eloquence.  Upon further thought, I think it does work.  I mean, women haven't changed that much, have they? ;P

The photos I took while hiking and exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway two weekends ago.  I must say, I believe it is all covered in snow right now!   The Moses Cone Mansion/Estate is now owned by the state of North Carolina and is open to everyone.  I hope to horseback ride there next spring and enjoy the over 25 miles of carriage road that is still meticulously maintained.  

 I wish I could say that was me on that Buckskin!



25 miles of carriage roads still grace the Moses Cone Estate
The Carriage House

18 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

gorgeous photos, margaret. brings peace this morning amongst the storm reports.

Marian said...

wow, beautiful! well done, i think your verse works. not jaded, real.

Mary said...

I loved all your photographs, Margaret. And your poem definitely gave me the flavor of the time. Nice work all around.

Amrit Sinha said...

Beautiful pictures ... and good play with the prompt :-)

Helen said...

Artful innocence makes for a great last line!!!
Spectacular photography.

Ginnie Hart said...

You find the most incredible places to visit, Margaret! Seriously.

Anonymous said...

I agree: Innocence IS an art.

De Jackson said...

Well done.

brudberg said...

I really love this Margret.. a wonderful delight.. somehow I think there was a kind of innocence.. after all it was asked for wasn't it?

kaykuala said...

Fascinated with the beautiful pics accompanying. Talents abound to get great pics, Margaret! Hope you'll get to ride there later!

Hank

Anonymous said...

great nod to an earlier time and the form works so well in this!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I'm not sure how I missed this poem, but I really like the delicate balance you have achieved with the form. A wonderful portrait of bygone days.

Anonymous said...

The whole effort meets the challenge while emulating such composition perfectly -- a style of life we have mostly lost. Very nice.

Gail said...

You've captured the time well.

Beautiful pictures.

ZQ said...

Beautiful, and one of my favorite places in the USA :-)
ZQ

Carol Campbell said...

Lovely post and I love your photos!

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Your words do the pictures justice.

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful photos and words. You captured a time, a feeling long gone.