Thursday, September 5, 2013

IGWRT's Wednesdays with Peggy - "Before Curtain Call"


Before Curtain Call

Pant, breath, fall in love
with emotions, round your back,
sigh, smile as you yawn.
Laugh loudly, cry if need be,
and sing, SING! in the shower.
Lie upon backstage floor, lines
whispered, thoughts free to roam.
Water the chords, nibble nectarines,
you Shakespearean actor -

...but first help lift this damn prop!

by Margaret Bednar, September 5, 2013

I love her comments on how women often hold their voices back "in expression" more than men...  (starts at about 4:55) but the whole clip is fascinating, so I hope if you click on the video you do watch the whole thing.  She's such a charming lady with a lovely Scottish accent.



The Linklater approach is a set of techniques many actors use of natural voice and language control.  I think that's an appropriate definition, but maybe not.  My son is a drama student at UNCSA (University of North Carolina School of the Arts) SHE MENTIONS THE SCHOOL BRIEFLY IN THE VIDEO! ... and he uses this approach.

I also want to note the above poem is an abbreviated "list" and not in any way a complete or thorough "how to"!   I wanted to fit it into 55 words for ...

Friday Flash 55 (I will link up Thursday after 8pm)

This is for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads "Things Carried".   I think this covers the challenge as I allude to lifting, carrying... :)

18 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This made me smile, with its humorous last line. The world of theatre is magical......loved this glimpse of backstage.

Helen said...

As a regular backstage crew member, I know all about the craziness that audience members never see!!!

Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

I have to pass all of this on to my daughter. She has decided to be an actor.

TexWisGirl said...

your poem made me laugh. :)

Hannah said...

That's what I call living out loud!! Fun and expressive piece, Margaret!

Peggy said...

Really made me smile Margaret. Thanks. And you certainly take great photos with your iPhone!

Mary said...

You have really given a good glimpse of 'backstage" here, Margaret! Loved the last line.

Visiting from the G-Man!!

Janna said...

The part about nibbling nectarines reminded me that I have a bag of peaches in the fridge I need to eat soon. :)

Also love the first two lines that say "Pant, breathe, fall in love with emotions".

Thanks for doing Friday 55!
Mine's here:
http://jannaverse.blogspot.com/2013/09/try-some-of-those-14375-facebook.html

hedgewitch said...

I'm smiling along with that actor's spirit of camaraderie here, Margaret. Everyone wants the soliloquy, nobody wants to haul props. ;_)

G-Man said...

Aren't there "Roadies" in Theater?
What a drag!
You always have that Margaret Bednar insight on the most diverse of subjects.
Loved your Thespian 55
Thanks for playing, once again thanks for sharing your creative brilliance, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, this is so familiar. My youngest has a bachelor's and master's degree in theater. Everyone wants to be a star, but never man the props. :) Love the video. As I am doing so many poetry readings now the information really helps.

Jinksy said...

Where would a play be without props? :)

Anonymous said...

Great evocation of the world of theater! I enjoyed the last line too.

Kerry O'Connor said...

You evoked the scene so well, Margaret.

author.nara.malone said...

Yes, can't forget the important stuff first. Loved your 55.

Other Mary said...

I've done that Margaret! In fact I'd rather move props (or paint them) rather than face the audience! Nice 55!

Brian Miller said...

how interesting, you would assume the opposite on holding back expression or i would atleast...i like the push toward freedom in your words...

Jannie Funster said...

Well, y'all are just the super-creative-ist family going. Acting. Painting. Writing. And much more I don't know about yet.

Our kiddo signed up for drama but they had too many kids in the class, she ended up in a Tech Theater class and LOVES it!! Talk about moving props. They're going to make their own sets and costumes. Can't wait to see!

always a treat to be here.

xooxox