Sunday, October 19, 2014

"Days of Grace"


Days of Grace

I wish these days of grace to linger -
linger in my soul content, yet ablaze.

Ablaze with dying in order to nourish -
nourish to live again.  Each Autumn I walk,
walk these wooded trails, pause -
pause to absorb and gaze in wonder.

Wondering all the while if I will bow -
bow as graciously as nature when it's my time.
Time, a gift we seem to squander -
squander away when we have it and long,

long for it when it silently winds down - tick,
tick, tick.  Perhaps we over-think, when we should -
should just breath in and out, reflect how to,
to give of ourselves, daily.  Die to self,

selflessly give each day in order to live -
live one day outside of time, ablaze with grace.

by Margaret Bednar, originally written October 13, 2013 - updated October 19, 2014

Every year I delight in the fall season.  This is a poem I wrote last year and I made two slight changes.  I hope everyone is able to get out and enjoy the day!  


4 comments:

Ginny Brannan said...

Such a lovely poem, Margaret. I like how the last word in one line becomes the first for the next. That repetition enhances the overall feel of this piece. Is there a name for this style of poetry? Loved this! Autumn, my favorite season, never failing to rekindle my words and passion for its colors, its beauty!

Anonymous said...

Hey Margaret--agree with Ginny--the repetition is like the falling of a leaf, its twirling down, a lovely time and poem, and great pic. k.

Brian Miller said...

i like the thought of these as days of grace....fall is my fav time of year...and i would love for her to linger in my soul a bit...

dying to self...being willing to give of ones life...those are admirable qualities...

Anne Payne said...

Margaret, Your images are lovely! As I was reading your poem, I was thinking Yes, yes, lovely word crafting and so true. Then I saw the date you wrote the original. That would have been my daughter's 30th birthday but she passed the year before. And the words in your poem became even more significant.