Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dark-eyed Junco


Dark-eyed Junco

With little gray hood and downy vest
she hunches against winter's chill

almost overlooked
until musical tinkling attracts my attention -

find her perched as if on a half note;
no diva, just a performer enjoying her craft.

by Margaret Bednar, January 20, 2015


I believe this is a female - her back looks a bit more brown as the males, I believe are a bit more gray.   This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - The Tuesday Platform".

13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

such a cutie.

Fireblossom said...

I adore this.

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

This is lovely Margaret!!

brudberg said...

I love the little non-diva Margaret... and how the plumage looks in winter... so cute.

Anonymous said...

Super sweet poem, Margaret. Thanks. k.

Marian said...

awwwww. :)

Susie Clevenger said...

Lovely words and photo. I looked through your bird pictures..beautiful

Lolamouse said...

I love that you notice the winter birds. So do I! "Perched as if on a half note" is a great line!

Anonymous said...

Love the humble simplicity of this -- and what are we but similar small members of a choir?

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love your birds, Margaret.

Cressida de Nova said...

Beauty and happiness in simplicity!Lovely poem

Magaly Guerrero said...

The last line is delicious...

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this so much. Tofino has so many juncos and i adore them.