Saturday, March 17, 2018

"If Ever Ye Catch a Leprechaun"





If Ever Ye Catch a Leprechaun"

Of kind and honest heart I hope ye be
as greed and foolishness they hate to see.

Solitary tinkers, mischievous smiles,
these fairy folk spy man's plight,
persuade unwary toward wishes unwise.

If ever ye catch a Leprechaun,
beware of little men clad in coats of green
who feed upon selfishness and pride.

and yet, be ye of pure and noble vein,
a reward, indeed!

for these sprite's bestow three-fold
life's real prizes of Faith, Hope, and Love.

by Margaret Bednar, March 16, 2016 (reworked March 17, 2018)

Happy St. Patrick's Day ... and I share with you my oldest son singing (seven (?) years ago - he was in high school) an Irish-American Celtic punk song "Laura" by Flogging Molly and a short poem.   The lyrics to the song are below my poem.

Linked with  "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Sunday Challenge - Blarney Me"

Laura

Feel the words from my lips
To your harsh finger tips
Then you know where I come from
Cause I know, yes I know
Cause I lost everything I had
See, I could have danced on the sun
But my world came undone

Laura!!!!!!

There's no need for tears
Cause there's no need to cry
The love that you leave
Will never be denied
This pain in my head escaped from my heart
No woman alive can touch who you were
So bye bye, Laura
Cause no one could take your place
Bye bye Laura
Your beauty will never fade
The seed that you've sewn
Will reach for the sky
This love that you leave
Will never be denied
And after this song, her spirit lives on
Though you're not around you'll never be gone

So bye bye Laura
Cause no one can take your place
Bye bye Laura
Your beauty will never fade
Well I... I could have danced on the sun
But the world came undone
Laura
Yeah I... I could have danced on the sun
But my world came undone
So Bye Bye Laura
Bye Bye Laura

So bye bye, Laura
Bye bye Laura
This pain in my head escaped from my heart
No woman alive could touch who you were
So bye bye Laura
Cause no one could take your place
Bye bye Laura
Your beauty will never fade
So bye bye Laura
Cause no one can take your place
Bye bye Laura
Your beauty will never fade
FADE!

16 comments:

kaykuala said...

A very catchy and fast tune. That is very nicely done Marge! 5 years since should have brought some dividends by now!

Hank

Outlawyer said...

Those are life's prizes indeed. Your son so handsome and all kids talented. Hope you had a good break! K .

Rommy said...

What a cool poem for St. Patrick's Day! Your son did a great job with his artistic expression as well.

Vivian Zems said...

This is a lovely poem you've written...and what a talent you have there..in your son. Good job to you both!

Bekkie Sanchez said...

He is very handsome and talented. His voice reminds me of a young David Bowie. I enjoyed!

I already found a four-leaf-clover so I'll pass on the Leprechaun they sound like trouble.

Brendan said...

Well done Margaret -- these little folk are known to laugh whenever we humans say something foolish. They know a thing or two more than we!

brudberg said...

Love your poem as well as your son's singing... I wonder if leprechauns should be caught at all :-)

Kim M. Russell said...

I haven't read a leprechaun poem in ages, Margaret! I love the following lines, which could form a great refreain for a longer poem:
'If ever ye catch a Leprechaun,
beware of little men clad in coats of green
who feed upon selfishness and pride'.

What a talented son you have! The lyrics to Laura are so sad, especially the repeated lines:
'...I could have danced on the sun
But my world came undone'.

Old Egg said...

What a beautiful and entertaining post. You must be proud of all your children.

annell4 said...

I enjoyed your poems and seeing your Son!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I enjoyed your leprechaun poem. And what a handsome, talented son!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Loved the poem and the song by your talented son. Wonderful!

Jim said...

If I'd have caught my leprechaun I'd have kicked his tail. He pushed me down some cement stairs thinly covered with scattered rocks. I broke my kneecap and had to come home. Bye, bye Ireland. But I came back.
I loved your irregular ode to Laura. Haven't we mostly all been through this a few times? You son sings well, plays good too. He has the look of a guitar player (my son has the looks of the drummer that he is).
..

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh I love the poem, and it is always good to watch and hear your son. His passion for music bursts from him.

Gillena Cox said...

A sumptuous post. Enjoyed both poem and recital

Linked in late

much love...

Unknown said...

Wow! your son is very talented.
Mary (Cactus Haiku)