Thursday, May 5, 2016

"Pamlico Sound"


Ocracoke, NC
Pamlico Sound

Early tide often unveils angel wings and whelks,
but this solitary evening's walk offers up three tartan caps,
elusive and rare.

Slipper shells delight my son, fragile cockle & calico scallops
fan and flash speckled color, and shark eye remnants
swirl charming patterns

yet the olive shell I've yet to receive.

She offers her fine artists mark of temporary delights:
tangerine sunsets, gently filled sailcloths, winged birdsong
as well as memories lasting a lifetime,

some sentimentally displayed upon my windowsill.


by Margaret Bednar, May 5, 2016


*The Scotch Bonnet is the NC state shell - not uncommon but not easily found whole either.  I found three perfect ones within 30 minutes of each other one evening!  - the resemble a traditional Scottish "plaid" hat.

Pamlico Sound  HERE

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Transforming with Nature's Wonders

8 comments:

Hannah said...

I love the tone of this poem, Margaret...it saunters along and pauses to enjoy each delight that nature has to offer.

Thank you, so much for adding your voice to the challenge today!

Stacie Eirich said...

Wow -- a stunning poem. Your language really caused me to pause, re-reading and savoring the images -- "slipper shells..fragile cockle & calico scallops" --beauty in the smallest things in nature. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

You have very exotic shells on your shores..........they sound wonderful. I am always scanning the sand at the beach, seeking treasure.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I have always collected shells and still have many from my youthful walks along the shore. You have offered so many beautiful pictures of the things you gather at the seaside. This poem is a perfect response to the prompt.

De Jackson said...

Beautiful. This reminds me of our beach combing in Florida.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

Your poem takes me with you walking the beach and discovering treasures! This is how I feel on my bikes rides. Lovely, Margaret!

Jennifer Wagner said...

This is beautiful. I, too, love the tone.

Louvregirl said...

Wonderful. Leaves me with a good feeling. :-)