Thursday, March 9, 2017

"Produce Aisle"

"Produce"
Produce Aisle

I've always longed to melt into Monet paintings,
feel his strokes of color upon my skin
warmer than any summer sunrise.

Renoir's eye for intimacy,
Cezanne's bright shapes,
Picasso's creative boldness -
all these things I see as I mingle amongst the produce,

fondle golden beets, caress cantaloupe's contours,
relish the idea of organic beauty upon a canvas,
my brush creating a world of swirls and dashes.

I arrange delicata to the left, a radish's greens
hail from the right, red peppers and aubergine eggplant
centrally featured, shift the pomegranate around,
imagine it outlined with sure, dark Van Gogh-like strokes...

frame these produce divas as they seductively pose,
swear the pear's channeling Marilyn Monroe
(perhaps the butternut too), sungolds pout their red,

and the kaleidoscope mix of carrots claim best dressed
in their gowns of atomic red, cosmic purple,
and lunar white. I take a quick photo of my market still-life,
sweep them off their "red carpet"

take them home to be boiled, baked, chopped, devoured -
fate unchanged, yet destined to be remembered,
perhaps with a brush stroke of summer sun.

by Margaret Bednar, March 9, 2017

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Rommy's Challenge - Synesthesia"  The idea as to swap sensory imagery - What does a sunrise taste like? Does the sound of crickets have a tactile feel?  were examples.  I think I got off track - comparing the produce to divas and a glamorous red carpet type of walk...  Or maybe my sensory is the visual (imagination)?

Delicata?  a delicious squash.  Here is a link to 15 fantastic pumpkins and squash recipes and I have used a number of them... Not only cute but yummy.   https://www.thespruce.com/winter-squash-and-pumpkins-2217736




12 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh this is absolutely stunning in words and oh those colorful images swirling and enticing the senses... ah lovely!❤️

Gillena Cox said...

Enjoyed the making of your masterpiece, my favourites lines

"I arrange an orange to the left, a radish's greens
hail from the right, red peppers and aubergine eggplant
centrally featured, shift the pomegranate around,
imagine it outlined with sure, dark Van Gogh-like strokes..."

much love...

Rommy said...

This was delightful to read. I love the sensuality of the first verse.

Jim said...

Nicely painted, Marian. I am thinking that your salads are filled with color. Tomato reds, carrot greens, dashes of yellow, green, and red peppers. Sometimes apples unpeeled add colors also, besides adding a bit of crunch.
I didn't finish then test but think I failed. You?
..

Anonymous said...

This is a delicious creation

purplepeninportland.com said...

Yum, what a tasty masterpiece, Margaret!

Magaly Guerrero said...

"...organic beauty upon a canvas", what a stunning image, Margaret. I love the earthiness of these words. The entire poem is a feast to the senses. I find myself wanting to bite into something sweet and juice. Where's a good mango when you need one?

Kim M. Russell said...

I love your colourful and tactile poem, Margaret! I especially love the opening lines:
'I've always longed to melt into Monet paintings,
feel his strokes of color upon my skin
warmer than any summer sunrise'
and
'fondle golden beets, caress cantaloupe's contours,
relish the idea of organic beauty upon a canvas,
my brush creating a world of swirls and dashes'
and I smiled at:
'swear the pear's channeling Marilyn Monroe'.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Your love of art shines through this colourful piece.

brudberg said...

I would like a dinner painted.. the parallel between the cooking and the art iw very apt.

Susie Clevenger said...

Goodness, I will never see the produce aisle the same again. I love where you took the prompt.

Stacie Eirich said...

Margaret this is gorgeous! What an inspired response to a creative prompt. Our senses give so much to our words. I too, love Renoir's art. You've created your own canvas here, of rainbows & kaleidoscopes of beauty. :-) Thanks for sharing!