Tuesday, May 9, 2017

"Being Puck"




Being Puck

Is there not a bit
of an imp in every boy,
a puck, a pixie, rascal or sprite

that beguiles more than pesters,
teases not torments -
molds a mother's heart

and when it reappears
upon becoming a man - does it not
bring back her youthful smile?

by Margaret Bednar, May 9, 2017

My son, William Bednar, will be performing (as Puck) with Barefoot Shakespeare Company productions of Macbeth and Midsummer Night's Dream - set in the summer of 1967.   It will be in rotating repertory, June 8-18 at Summit Rock in Central Park.  William appears in the video at .21

He was both Peter Pan & Robin Hood (both have elements of Puck) several times as a youth and adores Shakespeare - and will always be a bit of a Puck :)

and Barefoot Shakespeare Company's website:  HERE

Linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Mythical Prejudice"

A little about Puck HERE
and Peter Pan HERE

Peter - which is closely related to Puck
drawing by Chelsea Bednar

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it does indeed. I was my mother's Puck

Margaret said...

Awe, Martin Kloess - thank you. And I'm sure she loved every impish minute. :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

I completely agree. I have a Puck of my own, and some years ago (and, perhaps, now too) I'm pretty sure my grandma would've said that I was her own girl-Puck.

This is so sweet and so true, Margaret. I hope your impish Puck has a blast that fills you (and his audience) with mirth.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

What a wonderful warmth to your words and how true they are.
I have two little grand-pucks and delight in their mischievousness.
Anna :o]

brudberg said...

I there is a little rascal or an imp inside me as well... :-)

Gillena Cox said...

Congrats to your son. Thanks for a lovely poem

Much love...

Anonymous said...

I can most definitely relate to Puck and i adore midsummer night's dream...break a leg ( to your wee puck)

Jim said...

Oh Margaret, that Summer of love, I'd love to be there for it. It made goose bumps watching. It is good for the new generations to know. My ex was caught in it more than I, we divorced in 68 and she remarried soon after. My job was suit and tie, long hair was okay. I was footloose, mourning, and free until Mrs. Jim rescued me. When she found me I was freer still having a motorcycle.
On Sunays it and I would go from tree to tree where under nearly every on had a band playing. I met ZZ Top there in Houston playing under a tree. Saturday nights it was downtown Houston on the Bayou banks and on the loading docks of buildings down there.
Oh yes, my work in '64 took me to San Fransisco for a month. The girls literally did have flowers in their hair. And I had a red '64 Ford convertible rental car.
I will never forget those years. They won't come back. I forgot, I was also a college student. In Differential Equations (calculus) class the girl beside me had stringy hair, wire cutoffs, and was barefooted. She had a big yellow dog waiting for her outside with the other dogs. She made an A, my grade was C.
..

Jim said...

Oh yes, lovely picture for the lovely picture. "Teach your children well ... (their father's hell--remember that song?)."
..

Sanaa Rizvi said...

One of my favourite plays from Shakespeare is 'Midsummer Night's Dream.' Best wishes to your son, Margaret ❤️